Popeyes Spicy Chicken Sandwich Copycat Recipe
So if you checked out the highlights, you understand that ain’t nobody got time to wait in a line for a chicken sandwich from Popeyes. The hype is real and maybe when it pipes down I’ll try it because I am game for a piece of meat any day of the week.
So a couple of things:
1) I tenderized my chicken before I let it marinade. Took all my stress out on the little guys.
2) Ideally you want to let the chicken marinate overnight. I fried 6 hours later and it was amazing too.
3) If you don’t have buttermilk, add a tablespoon of lemon juice to 2 cups of milk and let it sit for 5 min->boom.
4) So I used a ready buttermilk pancake mix, but you can use regular flour, or even Bisquick! If you use the premade mixes, you don’t need to add baking soda and baking powder to the recipe.
5) I used brioche buns and they held the sandwich well. If you can’t do that potato or sesame works!
6) I didn’t have hot sauce when I made this, but of course you can add it!
7) Level of spicy is up to you...hype it up to your discretion.
Ingredients for Marinade:
· 5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast
· 1 pint of buttermilk
· Couple sprigs of fresh thyme
· 1-2 tablespoons paprika
· 1-2 tablespoons of garlic powder
· 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne powder
· 1-2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning
· 1 tablespoon of Vageta (sub it for Mrs Dash, No Salt Seasoning, even Sazon works)
· 1 tablespoon of dark red chili powder
· Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the Breading:
· 1 cup of flour (add salt and pepper)
· ½ cup of corn starch
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon of baking soda
· 1 tablespoon paprika
· 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
· Some cayenne pepper (you can add hot sauce instead)
· 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
· 1 tablespoon Vageta
· 1/2 a tablespoon of dark red chili powder
Ingredients for Condiments:
· ½ cup of mayo
· Couple tablespoons of lemon juice
· Fresh dill
· Cheese (optional)
· Brioche buns (TRUST ME)
1) Let the chicken marinate for up to 24 hours.
2) When ready mix all dry ingredients together while your oil is getting hot, and your buns are getting golden on a non-stick.
3) To your dry ingredients, add a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk marinade to the bowl and mix. Coat your chicken and fry. When it’s nice and crispy place it on a cookie rack to stay crispy.
4) Assemble with mayo and toppings
5) Yalla, let’s eat!